Saturday, March 22, 2008

getting my rocks off

I'm always trying to come up with new backgrounds to photograph my work with, and it's a challenge (more than you might think) because of the glass. It's reflective surface and bright colors and layered texture make it very interesting. Today the gorgeous sun came out and I was able to try my newest (and current fav) background. Rocks.

I love rocks. I collect them on the beach and when I'm out and about. Friends bring rocks back for me from their vacations. I just love them. Here are a few cropped but otherwise unedited pics on my new rocks.

Now, I've read (and been told) not to take photos in the sun, but after thousands of pics inside, and pics outside with a white tent to diffuse the sun, I must say that for me, natural light is best way to get the color and depth of the work, with the least amount of post production.

Now don't get me wrong, I like the rice as a background. However, I'm not too thrilled with the off white color of the rice sometimes. Since I use so much French Vanilla in my work, and rice is almost the same color it's hard to get a good contrast. So, on and on the search for the perfect, most interesting background EVER!

So for those of you who are photographing your work to post on the internet there are several online resources, here are a few that I found helpful: Little Put Books Blog, Easy Photography Info, and Catie's Blue Blog.

No comments: